The birth of your baby is one of the most special days of your life. Wouldn’t it be great if you had a way to make your birth amazing and one you’d be proud of? Here are 7 tips on how to make it happen!
1. Educate yourself on your options – The best way to do this is by imagining your perfect birth and working backwards. Firstly think about where you want to give birth; hospital (private or public), a birth centre or at home. Next it’s important to think about who you want your birth provider to be and whether you would prefer to have continuity of care; an Obstetrician, a midwife-led program within a hospital or birth centre or an independent midwife are some options. Look at what facilities and providers can do for you to help and encourage your perfect birth ie: does your hospital have birth pools or baths? Is your obstetrician or midwife supportive of the birth you want? Are you able to be upright and mobile during labour? These are just few ideas on what to ask before making your decision, but also it’s important to know that it’s never too late to make a change to one or more of these things during pregnancy.
2. Trust your body- your body knows how to grow and nurture your baby and it also knows how to give birth to your baby. Know that your body will produce all the right hormones in synchronicity when the time is right, of course there are always special circumstances that can change this but trusting in your body is one of the best ways to have an amazing birth experience.
3. Create a Positive Mindset- look forward to labour don’t fear it! The birth of your baby is one of the most important and life-changing days you will ever experience and it should be one that you look forward to rather than fear. While it can be hard not to listen to other women’s negative experiences, you have to remember that every birth is different and yours will likely be nothing like theirs. Changing your thoughts and feelings surrounding birth can make the most dramatic difference to how you experience labour and the birth of your baby. The best way to do this is by creating a positive mindset through self-hypnosis during your pregnancy and birth. The Hypnobirthing Australia birth classes are the perfect way to learn how to do this!
4. Bond with Your Baby- bonding with your unborn baby can really help to make a connection with them before birth, which can be especially helpful if you’ve had a difficult start to the pregnancy, a previous loss or birth trauma. Some great ways to do this are talking & singing to your baby, massaging your belly, doing a pregnancy yoga class, having a baby shower/blessingway. Also don’t forget the importance of allowing your partner to bond with the baby too.
5. Get your birth partner involved- no matter who is your birth support person, they need to be on board with your birth choices and be your advocate when you need them to be. Everything from making sure you have snacks & water, ensuring the birth pool is at the right temperature or speaking with your care provider about your wishes during labour. Not only will it give them an important role in your birth, but it will also allow you to relax knowing you don’t have to worry about these things. If you don’t feel your birth partner will be able to help you in this way or want an extra person there to support you then a doula is an excellent option. They can help take care of these things and allow your birth partner to focus on you.
6. Preparation is key- Along with using self-hypnosis to create a calm and positive mindset there are other tools you can use like breathing, massage, warm water and acupressure just to name a few to get your mind and body ready for the labour and birth. The Hypnobirthing Australia course will give you a wide range of techniques and tools you can choose to use during your labour as well as teach your birth partner how to help you when in labour.
7. Create the right environment- Labour and birth is an incredibly intimate time and you have the right to privacy and a calm environment. By just requesting that the door stays shut, that the lights are dimmed and talking is kept to a minimum, you will be able to relax more and allow your body to labour more effectively. This is due to the decrease in stress hormones which allows for your labour hormones to do what they need to do to help birth your baby efficiently.
Your body and mind possess everything you need to have an amazing birth experience and by following these tips you will be on your way to having an empowering pregnancy and birth. To learn techniques and tools you can use to achieve an amazing birth, book a course through us at Hypnobirthing SA or find in your local area by clicking here.
Amy Giannakis BChiro Sc, M Chiro, HPCE